Autumn brings beauty to our land and bounty to our kitchens. For some people Autumn is about pumpkins, for our family it's more about mushrooms. Another day I spoke to my parents via Skype, and my mother showed me her "harvest" of wild mushrooms. I leaned towards a monitor almost flipping it over: I love mushrooms, especially the wild once, that fill your kitchen with the earthy aroma even before it's cooked. Imagine how fragrant is the kitchen when cooking starts!
Being thousands miles away from what's cooking in my mother's kitchen, to make me feel better I went "foraging" through aisles of a local grocery store. I picked some portobello mushrooms. They are not as aromatic as the wild one, but with a little trick they can do a job. And what is better than mushrooms and potatoes together? For dinner?
Roasted Mushrooms and Potato cakes
- 3-4 Russet potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 2-3 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 leek, white part only, shaved
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup canola or sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mushroom sauce
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped, for garnishing
- salt an pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 F (200 C).
2. In a skillet preheat one tablespoon oil, and add leeks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until translucent. Remove from the heat, and set aside.
3. Wash portobello mushrooms, pat dry with a towel, and slice into 4-5 pieces.
4. Position sliced mushrooms in one layer on a nonstick baking pan and place it in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, let it cool until easy to handle. Then chop mushrooms into small pieces.
5. In a separate bowl mix together mashed potatoes, chopped mushrooms, and leeks. Taste and adjust the seasoning: add salt and pepper, and taste again.
6. On a medium-high preheat a skillet with 1-2 tablespoon oil in it, form small patties, dip each side in bread crumbs, and fry on each side until golden brown (about 1 or 2 minutes on each side).
7. Serve hot with some sour cream and mushroom sauce (recipe is coming soon). Garnish with chives.
This meal goes well with some red wine or a good beer. Optional... :)
|Next American Top Model... :)|