|One skillet meal|
When it comes to cooking, I need to have a good "company" of pots, pans, knives, etc. Many brands went through my kitchen but only the most reliable still live here and help me cook delicious meals for my family.
Over the years my kitchen visited and quickly left non-stick pans (My husband was extremely observant for any scratches. He was lecturing me that as soon as there is a scratch it start to release harmful gas or chemicals into the food, so it had to go into the trash).
Trough trial and error I came back to the good old cast iron and I can't say enough about how good it is.
Let me introduce to you some of my hard workers:
|This soup pot is a working horse of my kitchen|
|Staub is a new addition to my cast iron cookware|
|When properly maintained this Lodge becomes best ever non-stick pan|
For today's dinner I employed one of my cast iron pans (see photo above) for an interesting meal.
I was amazed what came out of just a few ingredients, scrambled from the refrigerator.
One Skillet Meal:
- 10 fingerling potatoes, boiled
- 2 zucchini, pealed and cut
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 7 crimini mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 4 Tbsp cornmeal
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup cheese (I had cheddar)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 jalapeno pepper. chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook potatoes and peel the skin.
2. Preheat oven to 415F.
3. Preheat cast iron skillet, add oil.
4. When oil in the skillet is hot, add onions and stir.
5. Add salt and pepper to bring up the flavor.
6. Add sliced mushrooms and zucchini, stir.
7. Add jalapenos, stir and put skillet on the side.
|At this stage pour egg-cornmeal-cream mixture on the top|
8. Mix eggs, cream and cornmeal, add salt, mix well and pour the mixture in the skillet. Top with a cheese and pop in the oven for 10 minutes.
Serve hot with chopped green onions, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Or improvise!
Do you have a favorite cookware?
Until next time,
Cowboy Country Vegetarian